Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Pope Can't Sin?

I just read one of those anti-Catholic web pages and the ignorance shown would be laughable, if it wasn't so serious. Apparently they think "infallible" means "not able to sin". They think the teaching that the Pope is infallible when he teaches Ex Cathedra on an issue of faith or morals means he can't sin. What it means is that what he says must be accepted as truth by those in the Church, not that he can't sin. An example of this is that the Pope may say Ex Cathedra that lying is a sin. This must be accepted. Then later he may tell a lie (let's hope not) . That does not mean that his pronouncement saying lying is a sin was wrong. It means that he (as a private indivdual) is wrong (because he sinned by lying). The pronouncement is ever just, not the person.

I'm not going to explain Church teaching in this blog. I am not an Apologist for the Church. This is not my job. So, please don't post comments on what you think of Church teaching. They will be deleted. I was just amazed that after all this time, people still don't know Catholic Church teaching, even when they read it. They even had a book written by a guy who used to be Catholic. I am not surprised. There are plenty of Catholics-even priests-who don't understand. Why? That is something I don't understand. I have seen too many people teaching in the Catholic Church who didn't know what they were talking about. So again, I am not surprised that someone outside the church misunderstands.

Anyway, my point is-if you're going to disagree with Church teaching, at least be sure you know what the church actually teaches.

2 Comments:

Blogger Leo Percer said...

Just wanted to return the favor. I like your blog and I will be back to read more (bookmarking it now!). Thanks for the kind words regarding TobyMac! I am 40+ years old, and rap was never a favorite of mine, but I like this music! Keep the faith!

Tue May 24, 10:13:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Leo Percer said...

Feel free to link my site if you'd like. I appreciate the kind words (and, by the way, name dropping isn't so bad!). I love Peter Kreeft's stuff (I have almost all of his books and used one as a text in my philosophy class). Talk to you later!

Thu May 26, 08:16:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home